Re: [Xen-devel] Anyone done this before? Netbsd on Debian

To: Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Anyone done this before? Netbsd on Debian
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:33:58 +0000
Cc: "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, grg lmb <grelamen@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 02:33:42 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 29/1/07 09:59, "Christoph Egger" <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are two ways:
>
> 1. Implement PAE support in NetBSD
> 2. Make non-PAE guests in PAE Hypervisor work properly
>
> The first point is NetBSD-related, the second is Xen related.

Option (2) will require shadow pagetables, which is halfway to running the
guest as an HVM guest (which you can of course try -- it should work fine as
long as the bootloader real-mode code runs okay).

Option (1) has to be the long-term strategy -- then NetBSD can run on PAE or
x64 hypervisor.  Long term we would like to kill off the 32-bit non-pae
hypervisor build and thus reduce the test matrix.

 -- Keir