Re: [Xen-devel] How is fix bug 539?

To: İsmet Sönmez <isonmez@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How is fix bug 539?
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:31:05 +0000
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 02:31:01 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

The problem is that proliant 3000 is old and requires use of pcibios to detect all devices. You should try the following:

Edit arch/i386/Kconfig in your Linux build directory: look for ‘config PCI_BIOS’.
Two lines below you’ll see ‘depends on !(X86_VISWS || X86_XEN) && ...’
Change this to ‘depends on !X86_VISWS && ...’

Now rebuild your Linux kernel. Ensure that after the build there is a file arch/i386/pci/pcbios.o in your build tree (this will show that your config change worked and the pcibios code was compiled).

Try running this new kernel and cross your fingers. :-)

If this works for you we may consider adding this support for domain0. Our fear is that the somewhat different environment of domain0 (compared with native) could cause PCIBIOS probing to cause some machines to fail to boot that would otherwise work fine. One option for us is to require you to force the BIOS to be probed by adding an explicit  kernel boot parameter.

 -- Keir