Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] keymap support for PVFB

To: Markus Armbruster <armbru@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] keymap support for PVFB
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:15:21 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Junko Ichino <ichino.junko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:15:08 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Hi,

>> I've tried to tackle the same issue by hacking the vnc client side to
>> send us keysyms no matter what the local keyboard mapping is.  So I can
>> have any keyboard map loaded on the host, qemu-dm/vncfb sees us keysyms
>> nevertheless and passes the correct scancodes to the guest OS.
>
> You mean scan codes, don't you?  Key symbols are the XK_a and so
> forth.

No, keysyms.  This is what the vnc protocol uses, so there is no way
around that, unfortunaly.  It takes the X11 keycodes and translates
these to us keymap keysyms using a buildin table, then sends them.  So
for the server side (from vnc protocol view, i.e. qemu-dm or vnc-fb) it
looks like a vnc client with us keyboard.

> Passing scan codes in addition to key symbols makes sense.

Does the vnc protocol allow that?  I don't think so :-(

> Would you mind sharing your code when it's ready?

http://www.suse.de/~kraxel/xen/, the vnc client in the "xenwatch" package.

cheers,
  Gerd

--