Re: [Xen-devel] kexec trouble

  Hi,

>> For code which likely lives longer in the xen tree (especially
>> kexec-generic.patch which has almost no chance to be accepted mainline
>> as-is) it is a pain to deal with as patch.
>
> Yeah, I can agree with that. Feel free to add the files to sparse and
> throw out the patch. The dependency on patches and other stuff may
> make it difficult though.

*Aaaaargh*, it's even messier than I thought.  We have linux kernel
source files which are modified by patches *AND* are in the sparse tree.
 And the two versions don't match of course.  Looks like that is an
older issue though, so I can't blame kexec for that one ;)

These patches can't be removed cleanly after running mkbuildtree:

  x86-put-note-sections-into-a-pt_note-segment-in-vmlinux.patch
  smp-alts.patch
  net-gso-2-checksum-fix.patch
  net-gso-0-base.patch

We *must* find a more sane way to maintain the linux kernel sources,
this is one more reason why mixing sparse tree and patches isn't going
to fly.  As far I know at least the sparse tree is planned to be
dropped, now with dom0 and xen being decoupled (3.0.3+) it should be
possible without too much hassle.  Any plans what to use instead?  quilt
patch queue?

cheers,
  Gerd

--