[Xen-devel] kexec trouble

To: Magnus Damm <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] kexec trouble
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:37:27 +0100
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 06:37:36 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Hi,

Uh, it's a bit messy, with the changes sprinkled over the sparse tree
and the patches directory, which makes it a bit hard to fixup stuff.

IMHO the kexec code makes way to many decisions at compile time, not
runtime, especially the ones in the kexec code core.  Having something
depend on CONFIG_XEN doesn't fly with the paravirt approach planned for
mainline merge (same kernel binary runs both native and paravirtualized).

I'm also in trouble now with guest kexec patches as they work with guest
phys addrs not machine phys addrs.

I think we need either wrapper functions for machine_kexec_* functions
which dispatch to the correct function depending on the environment
(dom0 vs domU, later also native) or just make them function pointers to
archive the same effect.  Same goes for the KEXEC_ARCH_HAS_PAGE_MACROS
stuff.  IMHO "#ifdef CONFIG_XEN" should go away from the core code (i.e.
kernel/kexec.c).

cheers,
  Gerd

--