Re: [Xen-devel] 3.0.3 freeze

To: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 3.0.3 freeze
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:19:47 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>, veillard@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:29:24 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 28/8/06 6:12 pm, "Rik van Riel" <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenApi
>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-api/
>>
>> I.e., the one that's being drafted and discussed right now, on the xen wiki
>> and on the xen-api mailing list.
>
> Are you seriously suggesting that people rely on the stability
> of an API that hasn't even been created yet,

That is the stabilisation point for VM management. That's where effort
should be expended if you want to get to a stable, supported management
interface asap.

> and that people
> should not be surprised when the current API breaks, because
> they should have been using the one that doesn't exist yet?

There is no current ongoing supported API. We have never claimed there was.
The closest is libxenctrl/libxenguest, which hid just about all the
underlying hypervisor changes (except for bits that it doesn't fully
support, like trace-buffer access and perf counters), or the xm command
(which is stable, but it is stretching it a bit to call it an API).

 -- Keir