Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Kernel (3.0.2) breaks b44 module

To: <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Kernel (3.0.2) breaks b44 module
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:02:07 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 May 2006 02:02:34 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 12 May 2006, at 08:57, <xen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a new laptop (Dell 9400) that I am trying to work with Xen 3.0.

Xen works fine, runs windows XP under HVM.

But, the Xen kernel on Dom0 has a few problems with some of the hardware.

The network card is a Broadcom 4400 10/100BaseT.

B4400 can apparently DMA only to low 1GB of memory. Xen does not have an allocation pool that guarantees to only return memory that low. Hence you're stuck for the time being. You could try working around by changing B44_DMA_MASK in drivers/net/b44.c to 0x7fffffff. Maybe it'll turn out that only certain broken chips have this DMA limitation. Or you can hack the DMA pool to only return memory <1GB rather than <2GB (as it does currently). That'll be a slightly bigger hack though.

 -- Keir