Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] build configuration

On 15 Mar 2006, at 18:01, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

Now think about ACPI: most archs want it right now, but PPC doesn't. Rather than have lots of ifeq elif elif ... in xen/drivers/Makefile, it would be far
simpler to do:
        OBJS-$(CONFIG_ACPI) += acpi
and let Config-$(XEN_TARGET_ARCH).mk set CONFIG_ACPI or not.

Well, let's start by fixing your current need, which is for the non-optional config parameters, and see how that pans out. Some general cleaning up of the build system would be good and can probably be done by a set of consecutive patches rather than a 'big bang' approach.

For example, I don't think using GNU make's wildcards has worked well for working out what files to build, as we end up needing gross patsubst's to remove the files that are not to be included in the current build. Just explicitly listing the files to build would be better imo. If we could do that and also have Linux-style OBJ-<foo> style then that would be nice.

Do you want to cook up some tentative patches? Small increments are good as build systems tend to be fragile beasts, and ours is no exception. :-)

 -- Keir