Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] build configuration

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] build configuration
From: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:01:41 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:03:13 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 15 March 2006 11:44, Keir Fraser wrote:

> So far we've kept the number of 'user serviceable' build options very
> small, preferring to select optional things at run time, and specify
> non-optional things by hardcoding in asm/config.h.
>
> What is it that PPC requires in addition to this? If it's the ability
> to more easlly have those config.h hardcodings affect what files get
> built, then maybe we can pull out those hardcoded CONFIG_ items into a
> per-arch text file that gets processed into a header file and into a
> Makefile include.

Yup, that's exactly what it is. While I was looking into that, I noticed that
the build options are a little disorganized, and it could be nice to have
them all collected in one place.

Further, it would clean up some of the existing makefiles. For example:
        ifeq ($(XEN_TARGET_ARCH),x86_64)
        LIBDIR = lib64
        else
        LIBDIR = lib
        endif
Instead of that, just "include Config-$(XEN_TARGET_ARCH).mk" and let it set
LIBDIR.

Now think about ACPI: most archs want it right now, but PPC doesn't. Rather
than have lots of ifeq elif elif ... in xen/drivers/Makefile, it would be far
simpler to do:
        OBJS-$(CONFIG_ACPI) += acpi
and let Config-$(XEN_TARGET_ARCH).mk set CONFIG_ACPI or not.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center