Re: [Xen-users] cache for partition based VBD?

To: "Tim Freeman" <tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] cache for partition based VBD?
From: "John Madden" <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:43:33 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Tim Freeman <tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:43:12 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> For partition backed VBDs, is there still an effective cache in dom0?  The
> Linux
> buffer cache will affect file based VBDs, but does the partition backed VBD
> get
> around it?

Filesystem caching shouldn't happen in dom0 for the domU's and I doubt you'd
want
it to.  Caching *will* happen at the domU level and that's where you want it --
close to your applications.

Besides, if you can run a dom0 in like 128MB of memory to devote as much as
possible to your domU's, how much caching could you do?

John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer