RE: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to disable vif completely?

To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to disable vif completely?
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:20:43 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:20:55 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Ewan,
        Thanks for suggestion. However nothing changed after pull your Rev 7651
in. I still see following message:
        " Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working"

        However actually the hotplug works on my target system. You can see
from following xenstore info that vbd backend has been connected successfully:

   backend = ""
    vbd = ""
     1 = ""
      769 = ""
       domain = "ExampleDomain3"
       params = "loop0"
       frontend-id = "1"
       type = "phy"
       dev = "hda1"
       frontend = "/local/domain/1/device/vbd/769"
       physical-device = "0x0700"
       node = "/dev/loop0"
       hotplug-status = "connected"     <<<<<<<
   error = ""
    backend = ""
     vbd = ""
      1 = ""
       769 = ""
        error = "2 reading /local/domain/1/device/vbd/769/ring-ref and
event-channel"
^^^^(That error comes from that blkback watch handler tried to read before domU
is started)
    vif = ""
   device-misc = ""
    vif = ""
     nextDeviceID = "1"

        However, since netfront/netback hasn't been ported to IA64 now, it
always caused failure here after timout connecting to vif backend node.
I'll try to add a hack to prevent connecting to vif backend and see whether
forward progress. If you have simple way to do test, please help me. ;-)

        By the way, the loopback driver is also not compiled into xen0/xenU
currently for XEN/IA64. Is there similar case to check vif0.0 for dom0 after
above point? That would make another failure obviously due to same reason. In
current stage, we only promise vbd working on IA64.

Thanks,
Kevin