[Xen-devel] Is it possible to disable vif completely?

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to disable vif completely?
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 21:13:45 +0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 13:13:57 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Now I'm enabling multiple domain support on IA64 (Once again, though
working one month ago). The issue what I'm seeing now is:
        "xm create -c" doesn't return with error in createDevices() and
thus all subsequent xm commands don't return.

My work based on xen-ia64-unstable identical to Rev 7646 on
xen-unstable.hg ("Fix pagetable pinning logic for xen/i386 kernels.").
However xend/xm works well two weeks ago identical to Rev 7483 on
xen-unstable ("Added a timestamp to the logging output by trace_io").

After killing above thread and check /var/log/xend.log, which warns
"Device (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working".
What's the necessary environmental setting to support said hotplug
scripts? Any special requirement happens between these two weeks?

Actually I saw that "xm create -c" thread pending on select() when
createDevices() and seems the issue coming from synchronization issue
between main thread and device controller thread. Current the vnif
backend/frontend doesn't work for ia64 yet, so is there easy way to
disable vnif setup completely, thus to let us bypass this issue now?
Then we can focus on vbd stuff first...

Thanks,
Kevin