RE: [Xen-devel] (no subject)

To: "Christian Limpach" <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] (no subject)
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:52:36 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:51:11 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > You have to export LINUX_ARCH to the script.  We don't want to
> > > unconditionally polute the environment of all the commands we
> > > run, so you'll have to add it to all the calls to mkbuildtree.
> >
> > I'm not sure I follow... I don't know exactly how make or bash
> > work wrt to exporting... I didn't explicitly export LINUX_ARCH
> > but it seems to be known by mkbuildtree and all the mk.linux's
> > anyway.  (I successfully built for x86 and ia64 with the
> > patch.)
> >
> > Or are you suggesting I *not* define it in buildconfigs/Rules.mk
> > so as to avoid polluting the environment?
>
> Rules.mk is fine.  What I meant is that LINUX_ARCH won't get
> passed to mkbuildtree unless you add it to its environment.
> I confirmed this now by adding this to mkbuildtree:
> echo ${LINUX_ARCH} >>/tmp/xxxxxxxx
> LINUX_ARCH is empty and thus your hook script won't run.  Maybe
> you have LINUX_ARCH set in your shell environment where you ran
> make?  Odd...

No, it's not in my shell environment.  However, when I run make
to build for ia64 I run it as: 'make LINUX_ARCH=ia64 ...' and
I'm guessing make must export it to subshells.  If I add the
'echo', I do get ia64 in /tmp/xxxxxx and the ia64 hook scripts
do get run.

But if I build (for xen/x86) with just 'make', nothing gets
echoed to the file and, as you pointed out, no hook script
gets run.  But that's the default behavior we want, correct?

I suppose it would be nice if on ia64 just 'make' did the
right thing, e.g. set LINUX_ARCH=ia64 without the need to
specify it on the command line.  In that case, adding it
to all the calls to mkbuildtree is necessary.  How do
I set LINUX_ARCH in Rules.mk so that it is set to 'xen'
if x86 (or x86_64) and the architecture it is running on
(e.g. ia64) otherwise?

So I think the patch is OK as is... I've built successfully
for both x86 and ia64... but I can still change it and
resubmit if you prefer the other way.

Thanks,
Dan