Re: [Xen-devel] (no subject)

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] (no subject)
From: Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:58:42 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:56:47 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 12:20:41PM -0700, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort
Collins) wrote:
> > > OK, I see.  This cleans it up nicely. New patch attached.
> >
> > You have to export LINUX_ARCH to the script.  We don't want to
> > unconditionally polute the environment of all the commands we
> > run, so you'll have to add it to all the calls to mkbuildtree.
>
> I'm not sure I follow... I don't know exactly how make or bash
> work wrt to exporting... I didn't explicitly export LINUX_ARCH
> but it seems to be known by mkbuildtree and all the mk.linux's
> anyway.  (I successfully built for x86 and ia64 with the
> patch.)
>
> Or are you suggesting I *not* define it in buildconfigs/Rules.mk
> so as to avoid polluting the environment?

Rules.mk is fine.  What I meant is that LINUX_ARCH won't get
passed to mkbuildtree unless you add it to its environment.
I confirmed this now by adding this to mkbuildtree:
echo ${LINUX_ARCH} >>/tmp/xxxxxxxx
LINUX_ARCH is empty and thus your hook script won't run.  Maybe
you have LINUX_ARCH set in your shell environment where you ran
make?  Odd...

> That's OK with me.  If enlightenment (is that a bad word in
> Xen land now?) from the above requires me to re-generate
> the patch, I will change the names.

Cheers!

   christian