Re: [Xen-devel] question on balloon driver

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] question on balloon driver
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:53:54 +0100
Cc: Jonas Appel <jonas.appel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:53:44 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> It depends on what you mean by automatic.  I'm not sure anyone has ever
> posted an automated memory balancer.

One fine day, someone should write this.  It'd allow you to trade off a bit of
isolation for a bit of statistical multiplexing in the case where your
domains don't have a paranoid mistrust of each other.

VMware ESX sets a minimum, a maximum and a target percentage share for each
machine.  It then does sampling of the domains to find out how much of their
memory they're *really* using.  If they're not using all of it, they get told
to give it back using the balloon driver and it's apportioned to domains that
are using their memory more heavily.

This sort of thing should carry fairly straightforwardly across to Xen.  We
could simply get domains to report their current utilisation through the
store without needing to do sampling behind their back.

Could be a fun project for someone looking to get into Xen stuff (yes, that's
an unsubtle hint to the world at large :-) ).

Cheers,
Mark