Re: [Xen-devel] VMX device models not getting created anymore?

To: Arun Sharma <arun.sharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VMX device models not getting created anymore?
From: Mike Wray <mike.wray@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:07:23 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:16:42 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Arun Sharma wrote:
Mike Wray wrote:

I sent a patch: vmx-device-models-py.patch to the list to do just this, but the event channel numbers seem to be off by one for some reason (please see comments inside the patch).

OK, I see the patch. What makes you think the event channel port
numbers are off? Is it possible that it should be using port2 instead
of port1?

If I print self.device_channel.port1 and compare it to the output of

# xm list --long

It's off by one and device models don't get any events from the VMX domain.

Compared to which field is it off by 1?
The VMX code creates its own event channel using  channel.eventChannel(), which
will
allocate new ports. Possibly it should be reusing the existing control channel
port
instead? This might account for the off-by-one as ports are allocated
sequentially.

When I add the -1, things work ok i.e. device models do receive events from the VMX domain.

port1 = dom0 end of the event channel. That's what the device models listen to. port2 = hypervisor/vmx domain end of the event channel.

Hope this helps,

Mike