Re: [Xen-devel] xend leaks/bugs/etc

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 13:01 -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 11:16, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 10:45 -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>
> > And how exactly would you distinguish between a hostile domain and a
> > mission-critical-yet-chatty domain? Or would you indiscriminately drop
> > console data from all overly talkative domains?
>
> Ideally with a text-console you would use a shared ring-queue.  You
> could read from the queue whenever you felt it was appropriate.  The
> frequency of reading (and the size of the ring-queue) could be
> configured by the user.

When the ring queue overflows, console data will be dropped, which is
significant. I notice you avoided the subject of a shared-memory video
protocol: in that case, dropped data could leave parts of the screen
obsolete.

Just some things to think about; dropping data should be taken very
seriously. For example, testing the worst-case DoS attack to see what
impact it actually has on the overall system would be a good first step.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center