Re: [Xen-devel] Local apic support

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Patrick Scharrenberg" <pittipatti@xxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Local apic support
From: "Natasha Jarymowycz" <natasha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:24:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:24:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:59:01 +0100, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Try Natasha Jarymowycz's patch from a few weeks back to upgrade the
localapic support.

We want to get this patch applied, but felt it needed a little more work
first.

I submitted a new version of the patch last week on Wednesday.  I think
it may have been overlooked since the Xen summit was going on then.
Is there something more that needs to be done to it?

Patrick, if you need me to send you copies of the patch send me an email
and I'll get it to you.  Also, I don't think the fact that it says
you have a Pentium Pro means anything -- it does detect that you have
an AMD chip:

(XEN) CPU0: Before vendor init, caps: 0383fbff c1c3fbff 00000000, vendor = 2

vendor = 2 means it's AMD.

I think it just doesn't properly determine processor types because it doesn't associate the information it gets from the cpu with the appropriate strings.
From what I can tell it is insignificant.

If the patch doesn't help, can you explain in more detail exactly what the
problem you're experiencing is?

-Natasha Jarymowycz