Re: [Xen-devel] RFC/Patch: Support for other bootloaders

To: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RFC/Patch: Support for other bootloaders
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:57:35 -0600
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:09:20 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Deegan wrote:

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:52:32PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
[*] would it possible to do something whereby the vmlinuz and initrd
image were simply cat'ed together? This might swing the balance the
other way from a userbility POV, not sure.

It should be.  xen-vmlinux is an ELF, so if we can be *sure* that the
largest file offset in an ELF header is the same as the size of the
file, then it would be possible to just do
The problem with something like this is that it's very Linux specific. If we every support a dom0 other than Linux, it's entirely conceivable that that OS may require two boot-time modules instead of just one.

The multiboot shim allows for that. Also, it's likely that there will be a scenario where using something other than the Linux boot protocol is desirable. The multiboot shim could handle take care of that also.

It keeps an awful lot of ugliness out of Xen.

Regards,
Anthony Liguori