Re: [Xen-devel] Xend port

To: Rich Persaud <rich.p@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xend port
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:49:21 -0600
Cc: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:45:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rich Persaud wrote:

Questions:

1) xend web interface appears on port 8080 (non SSL). Is the xend-config.sxp parameter not honored?

I'm not sure. I'm reasonably sure that even if you could support changing the port, changing it to 443 would not automatically make it use SSL.

2) Does Twisted natively support SSL? I found conflicting statements in my brief research.

I'm not sure about "native" but I'm quite sure you can use SSL with Twisted.

3) What is listening on ports 8000 and 8001?

Xend listens on 8000 (provides a web interface). 8001 is used by Xend for events.

4) Related subject, how is xfrd (port 8002) secured against malicious domain transfers?

It's not. This is one of the reasons why VM-Tools takes such a different approach to domain migration.

All of the tools in VM-Tools are small and single purposed. One of these tools (vm-create) will have the ability to read a saved image from standard input. Another tool (vm-save) will be able to save an image to standard output.

Migration is simply a matter of piping vm-save to an instance of vm-create executed via ssh.

The transport is actually transparent to the migration process. You could just as easily use rexec, or write a simple remote shell that did IP-level filtering instead of authentication.

This approach gives you a wide variety of choices in terms of signing, sealing, and authentication mechanisms. Since ssh uses pam, you instantly are tied into most existing single sign-on environments (through pam_krb5, pam_winbind, etc.). While using ssh as the transport is debatable, I believe tying into pam is inevitable for any migration implementation.

Of course, VM-Tools is still a work in progress. Someone is currently working on migration support. We're hoping to have it available by the end of the month.

Regards,

Rich