Re: [Xen-devel] Domain 0 SMP

To: Remi Broemeling <rbroemeling@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Domain 0 SMP
From: Christian Limpach <christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:59:58 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:47:29 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:08:35 -0700, Remi Broemeling
<rbroemeling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My problem is with the -xen0 kernel -- specifically, I can't find any
> place to _enable_ SMP in it.  I know that SMP is not currently
> possible within -xenU kernels; which is fine.  I don't need SMP within
> the virtual machines.  However, I _do_ need it in the -xen0 kernel,
> and the option isn't there in "make ARCH=xen xconfig"

No, xen 2.0 doesn't support SMP in virtual machines.  dom0 is a
virtual machine with some additional privileges, but as far as SMP
support is concerned it is just another virtual machine.

> What am I doing wrong?  How can I enable SMP for the domain 0 Xen
> kernel?  I note that the documentation lists a 'nosmp' argument that
> can be passed as an argument to a -xen0 kernel to turn _off_ SMP.  Is
> SMP perhaps just "always-on"?

The 'nosmp' option is passed to xen itself (not dom0) and would
disable smp support in xen.  That's not what you want.  Because with
smp support enabled in xen, you will make good use of your smp
hardware as soon as you have more than one virtual machine, by putting
them on different cpus (see cpu= option in config file and xm pincpu).

    christian