[Xen-devel] Re: Multiple netif device channels

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 05:52:23PM +0000, Mark Williamson wrote:
> Hmmm, that's strange.  I'm surprised the additional interface showed up in
> one
> but not the other but I'm not familiar with the support for multiple netifs.

Ok, an update on the matter. The reason no interface appeared in the domU netif
backend was because xend wasn't actually configuring the domain as a backend.
The reason being that xend was setting the backend configuration flags /after/
constructing the domain image [1], so nothing was happening.

With that changed, a vif appears in the netif backend when the other domU
is started up. However, no actual network connection can be made between the
domains; ping just responds back with a destination host unreachable error.
Although that is better than before i upgraded to the latest -testing (which
i thought i should do before proceeding further); before the upgrade any
traffic from the netif domain to the vif caused a panic in said domain.

Seperately, although still connected to networking, the netfront driver has
code in it that prevents it from loading in a backend domain as well as the
initial domain. That should probably be reduced down to just checking for the
initial domain.

And lastly, on a completely seperate xen matter, i seem to recall some people
mentioning recently about not being able to add/remove vbd's in running
domains. I had a look at the code, and i'd guess that (like me lately) these
people are running 2.6 in the domU's. The code to update vbd devices is
currently commented out in the 2.6 sparse tree, as it hasn't been ported to the
2.6 blkfront driver yet (the code in place is a pure copy from the 2.4 driver).

[1] XendDomainInfo.py / XendDomainInfo.construct() - method starts @ line 427
    The configure_backends() line needs to be before the construct_image()
    one. The configure_restart() line doesn't really matter, as that's purely
    a xend thing.

--
Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org