[Xen-devel] Re: Booting Xen/ia64

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Booting Xen/ia64
From: Andreas Hirstius <Andreas.Hirstius@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:15:49 +0100
Cc: Håvard Bjerke <havarbj@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:02:59 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On our boxes the access to the serial console is done via the management processor, so the baud rate is limited to 9600 :-(
If this a problem, I can use another serial port on the machine.

One of the firmware versions might be a problem, since the machine is quite old (more than 2 years).
But the latest available firmware (2.31) is installed...
Here is a dump of "info fw" in the EFI shell:

FIRMWARE INFORMATION

  Firmware Revision: 2.31 [4411]

  PAL_A Revision: 7.31/5.37
  PAL_B Revision: 5.65

  SAL Spec Revision: 3.01
  SAL_A Revision: 2.00
  SAL_B Revision: 2.31

  EFI Spec Revision: 1.10
  EFI Intel Drop Revision: 14.61
  EFI Build Revision: 1.22

  POSSE Revision: 0.10

  ACPI Revision: 7.00

  BMC Revision 1.52
  IPMI Revision: 1.00
  SMBIOS Revision: 2.3.2a
  Management Processor Revision: E.02.10

With standard Linux the output goes to both consoles, except the part where the services start up.

Andreas

Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:

This is on both serial and video. And yes, "root=/dev/sda2" works with standard Linux.

It's an rx2600.

Hmmm... mysterious.  This is the same box I am using and the
same bits.  Perhaps a baud rate problem on the serial port?
The hack I mentioned assumes 115200.  (This can be configured
via the EFI shell.)  When I am running Linux, I use
"console=ttyS0,115200" but I don't know if specifying a
different baud rate for Xen/ia64 will work (yet).

Otherwise could be different firmware versions, but one wouldn't
expect that to cause this kind of a problem.

When you boot real Linux with the same console= are you getting
boot output on the VGA display?

Dan