RE: [Xen-devel] xen 2.0.1, 2.4.27, 2.6.9, non-bridge

To: "Adam Heath" <doogie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xen 2.0.1, 2.4.27, 2.6.9, non-bridge
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:28:45 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:29:43 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> As a side node, it'd be nice if the network backend allowed
> for a pointopoint topology, or the existing method.  Ie, I'd
> like it switchable.

Using routing rather than bridging works just fine. It's arguable that
this would be a better default. (Other than the need for a DHCP relay).

We should probably include alternatives to /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge
and /etc/xen/scripts/network that demonstrate how to set this up.

Basically, in /etc/xen/scripts/vif-router :

 enable proxy_arp on vifX
 give vifX some (/32) IP addr e.g. 10.10.10.vifX
 ip route add <ip_dom1> dev vifX

Your /etc/xen/scripts/network-routing script just needs to enable ip
forwarding (if it isn't already).

[It may be possible to configure the VIF as a point-to-point interface,
and hence avoid the need for the 10.x address at all. If anyone has this
working I'd be interested to hear.]

If anyone has any decent example scripts I'd like to see them documented
and go into the repo.

Cheers,
Ian