Re: [Xen-devel] question about PXE

To: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] question about PXE
From: Tim Freeman <tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:48:40 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:51:23 +0100
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:49:30 +0100
Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]
> Same cset on the repository is the main thing, but since the linux
> build process can sometimes get confused about files which have or
> haven't changed after a 'bk pull', most of us here tend to do a
> 'make world' after an update; hence xen / xenlinux / tools will
> all be in sync.
>
> If you're editing some xenlinux stuff (source or config) then
> there's no major need to rebuild tools or xen itself; make linux24
> (or even "make linux-xen0; make linux-xenU" if no config changes)
> should work just fine.

Thankyou for responding, that must have been it, then.  I don't remember
pulling, but I was doing a number of things to try and get it to boot
dom0 and that is certainly possible.  Thanks for being explicit.

I have three new problems with these nodes, I don't know if they are
related problems?

1. on boot the console server swims along until this:

[...]
ting
Mounting /proc filesystem
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
Freeing unused kernel memory: 76k freed
Freeing unused kernel memory: 76k freed
Failed to obtain physical IRQ 4
Failed to obtain physical IRQ 4
Failed to obtain physical IRQ 4
INIT: Failed to obtain physical IRQ 4
version 2.84 bootingFailed to obtain physical IRQ 4
Failed to obtain physical IRQ 4
Failed to obtain physical IRQ 4
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3IRQ 4
Entering non-interactive startup
Setting network parameters:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:  [  OK  ]
[...]

At the moment the "Failed to..." messages start the console server
seriously drags.  After it boots I can log in, there are no more "Failed
to.." reported by dmesg, and there is no lag in the ssh session.  (lspci
lists no IRQ's for 4).  I am sort of new to Linux, but have never heard
of anything like this.. ?

2. I don't know if this is related, but after I'm logged in, then "xend
start" cuts off all network access.  I assume this has something to do
with the bridging code, but I can't figure out what.  A look at
xen.xend.* didn't help me much.  The brctl tools seem to be working
normally.  I feel like I'm missing something obvious..

3. This seems related to the first problem, I get this error when trying
to add the tun module:

# modprobe tun
/lib/modules/2.4.27-xen0/kernel/drivers/net/tun.o: init_module: Input/output
error
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.27-xen0/kernel/drivers/net/tun.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.27-xen0/kernel/drivers/net/tun.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.27-xen0/kernel/drivers/net/tun.o: insmod tun failed

When I first got these errors, I went back and recompiled everything in
one shot (gcc 3.3.3).

Any ideas?  Is there a reason the tun module wouldn't be supported?

Thanks for any insights!  I hope to be contributing advice to the list
soon and not just questions :)

Tim