Re: [Xen-devel] Loopback images

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Loopback images
From: Paul Dorman <pauld@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:45:56 +1200
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:20:53 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 24 September 2004 09:18 am, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > Another thing that I would really like to see is support for big memory
> > (and I'm not implying that Mark should do this too! :o)  ). Eventually of
> > course we'll be using 64 bit machines, but we will still have a number of
> > dual Xeon machines in our cluster and being limited by the amount of RAM
> > we can use is a potential concern (we'll be running MySQL databases on
> > quite a proportion of the VMs). At the moment I have 4GB in each node,
> > but I'd like to be able to raise that to 12GB. I know this is probably
> > non-trivial, but I think it would be widely used, especially by folks
> > with large numbers of 32 bit machines converted to use Xen.
>
> It wouldn't be particularly difficult to add support for x86_32
> systems with more than 4GB, but would be a fair amount of work
> and isn't very high on our priority list. The PAE36 3-level page
> tables are all a bit of a hack, and we'd much rather put our
> efforts into x86_64.
>
> I don't reckon there are that many x86 systems with more than 4GB
> in use right now, and everything on the market will be x86_64
> very soon anyhow.
>
> Ian

True, but I would expect that many people looking to shift to a Xen-based
architecture would want to migrate their current hardware. RAM is a cheap
upgrade these days and I would expect that Xen installations would benefit if
they could use lots of it. You guys are the ones doing the hard work though
and I'm very happy with what you have done so far. But if ever you find
yourselves thingking, hmm, what to do next? Well, you know what I'd love you
to do!! :o)

As an aside, do I need to do anything special for my 4GB machines at the
moment? How much of the 4GB will Xen be able to use out of the box?

Regards,
Paul