[Xen-devel] Loopback images

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Loopback images
From: Paul Dorman <pauld@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:33:49 +1200
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:35:17 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

well, Xen is up and running for me. Console only at the moment, but hey, you
can't have everything, right? :o)

I wonder where things are with automatic assignment of loopback devices to
image files. This would be very useful to me, as it means there's a whole
bunch of automation I won't have to write.

Ian, you mentioned in the "Re: Practical questions, ssh a domain, HD
(Xen-Unstable)" thread that you guys were planning to have xend track free
loop devices and do the allocation. I would love to have to do nothing more
than specify [ 'loop:vm1disk,sda1,w' ].

Were I a programmer (I'm working on it!), I'd be offering to get my hands
dirty, but I'm not so I'm volunteering to test it for you! :oP Seriously
though, it would be good to see this feature on the Roadmap so curious folks
such as I won't bother you with feature questions. Perhaps there should be
'tweaks and refinements' and 'tools' sections under the main roadmap feature
list.

I'd like to volunteer to help (after I've had another couple of weeks playing
with Xen so I've got the concepts understood) with documentation, wiki
maintenance, etc. For this to be successful though, I think I'd need someone
I can pester to confirm that whatever I write is accurate. If there's
anything I can contribute in the meantime however, let me know!

Paul