Re: [Xen-devel] iscsi patch

To: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] iscsi patch
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:49:19 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:52:06 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> actually, to make it for xenU from xen0 (no compiler tools in xenU on my
> setup), i have to also replace all occurances 'uname -r' with something that
> gives me '2.6.7-xenU' (eg echo 2.6.7-xenU) in both the makefile and
> install.sh files. it's a bit of a pain.

Hmm, I'm not sure why you had to do that. I build on a totally
different system to the one I'm installing on (it runs a 2.4
kernel) and other than editing TOPDIR and KDIR everything worked
fine if I did a "make ARCH=xen", and then did a "make ARCH=xen install"
on the target system (it shouldn't rebuild anything, so you won't
need a compiler).

> the initrd comment is true though, unless iscsi (built in to the kernel)
> could be convinced to connect via a kernel parameter... that seems a bit
> extreme though when an initrd would solve the problem nicely.

Adding a kernel command line parameter to do this would be tough
-- iscsid is a big daemon and setting up a connection to an iscsi
disk is really quite complex.

Ian