Re: [Xen-devel] Dom1 always does DHCP requests and vmid increasing

To: Mike Brady <mike.brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Dom1 always does DHCP requests and vmid increasing
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:17:11 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:19:55 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have resolved my problem or at least treated the symptom.
>
> The xenU kernel has
>     CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
>     CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y
> set in the default kernel configuration.  I didn't do extensive tests, but it
> would seem that with CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y the kernel will do DHCP requests if
> an IP address is not supplied on the commandline irrespective other settings
> it passed.  Disabling this and rebuilding the kernel stops the behavour that
> I was seeing.  This allows the Linux DHCP client to do its thing which is
> what I was after.  I have a DHCP server setup with all the network settings,
> DDNS, etc and the kernel DNS client doesn't pick everything up properly.

This is weird -- I wouldn't expect to see Linux dhcp for an
address unless it had an ip= line of the form:
 ip=:::::eth0:dhcp  (or just ip=dhcp)

I certainly wouldn't expect to see it issuing a DHCP request for
its "NFS server", which you thought was happening.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Have others got experience
using Xen in DHCP setups?  How does it work for you?

Cheers,
Ian