RE: [Xen-devel] network idea

To: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] network idea
From: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:57:41 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:04:44 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm just looking at this now. I think that to do this I need to comment
out anything bridge related in
linux-2.4.26-xen-sparse/arch/xen/drivers/netif/backend/interface.c
so that xen doesn't do any bridging stuff, and then hook into xend so
that it can call my scripts when the netif_fe_interface_status_changed
events occur. It's the second bit I'm having trouble with... where
should that hook into? I can see where xend might sends such events...
maybe it doesn't have visibility to receiving them???

By taking the bridge stuff out of xen and putting it all in userland, it
means that we can route packets or bridge interfaces or completely
isolate them if desired. My reasons for doing it is that my server has 3
network cards, but any domain is only going to connect to 1 or 2 of
them, but not necessarily the same 1 or 2 as other domains.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

James