RE: [Xen-devel] Xen on VMware - how to install ? - SOLVED

To: "Zachary Amsden" <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xen on VMware - how to install ? - SOLVED
From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:34:04 +0200
Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:36:02 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I tried to reproduce this under VMware Workstation 4.0.1, but
> I have no trouble booting XenoLinux using the exact configuration you
> give below.
> I am guessing that a complete boot failure would most likely
> be caused by Grub loading the kernel incorrectly?  I attached a
> screenshot in case you see anything extremely different.

Hi Zachary.

At first glance I see that you are running VMware on Linux and I was
doing it on Windows 2000. Don't know if there is an underlying
difference in the VMware engine (guess not) on those platforms ?

On the machine that causes a stack fault, xenolinux.gz was loaded @
0x24c000 (I am guessing that that is what the grub (?) message
"[Multiboot-module @ 0x2....]" means), while the ones that booted
successfully loaded xenolinux.gz at 0x26d000. Your screenshot is too far
into the boot process to show where xenolinux.gz was loaded, but my
guess is that yours would display 0x26d000. Can you confirm that ?

To find where the problem really is (VMware versus VM image), I should
try and swap the booting/non-booting images between work and home. That
is about 6 GB of data, so I can't do it right now, but I'll check up on
it one of the following days.

Cheers

-- Jan