Re: [Xen-devel] Xen cpu usage limting

To: "Brian Wolfe" <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen cpu usage limting
From: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:17:59 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:19:25 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xen schedules domains on the available CPUs pre-emptively, so CPU usage
limiting should work just fine.

The default scheduler (BVT) is configured to provide an equal share of a CPU
to each of the domains running on it.  You can change the weights so that
domains will get larger or smaller shares (there are some options in
xc_dom_control.py).

A single domain shouldn't be able to bog down the others on the system by its
CPU usage in the default configuration.  In fact, the plan is that disk and
network usage will also be controllable so that you can give some guarantees
on the slice of the machine a domain receives.  [I think there are controls in
place for network, mechanisms for disk are being worked on]  I'll be checking
in a little documentation about the CPU schedulers next week.  Eventually, we
should have some kind of "friendly" user interface for controlling them.

To solve your current problem, a little more information would be handy (e.g.
what release you're using, what scheduler you're using, anything else that's
odd about the configuration, what configuration the domains have (what is it
that is consuming 100% CPU in the domain, are the domains sharing any external
resources that could cause performance problems), anything else you can think
of).

Cheers,

Mark