xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Re: Various implementation questions

To: Gareth S Bestor <bestor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Re: Various implementation questions
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:21:08 -0600
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:21:36 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gareth S Bestor wrote:

We want to try to avoid any dependencies on specific non-System Virtualization classnames, eg classes for host instrumentation, and instead rely on the more general CIM_* classnames/profiles. Fortunately, since all the OMC SMASH providers will be located under the root/smash namespace, it should be a problem simply referring to, say, root/smash/CIM_ComputerSystem, which should pull up any OMC_ComputerSystem subclass.

While playing with the implementation, found that going from smash namespace to root/cimv2 (our current namespace) was not possible. cimom does not know about our schema in smash namespace. So for example asking for objects associated with CIM_CS in smash namespace via association Xen_HostedComputerSystem is invalid since no such association exists in smash namespace. One possible solution of course is to put our schema in smash namespace. One of the smash developers has some ideas, but won't have time to talk with him before our morning call.

Related, in what namespace do we want to live? I assume any, i.e. work wherever an admin might place our schema.

As an initial pass, where all the relevant host resources are automatically considered part of the respective resource pool, there wont be any need to persist anything, since the associations can be (re)generated on the fly. Once we more fully support pool management adding/removing host resources then yes, we'll have to persist which resource are and are not currently in the various pools somewhere. I suppose persiting the association object itself in the CIMOM repository wold do the trick, but for some reason this makes me uneasy... I'd need to think thru the implications and consequences more :-)

Right. The notion of a primordial pool containing all of the host resources for a given resource type.

>BTW, there is a lot off association traversal in resource pool
>implementations.

Depends. If the pool provider takes the 'easy' approach and exploits traversing the CIM associations itself (ie making the associatio provider do the hard work) and sum everything up, then yes, there could be a lot of association upcalls to handle. But depending on how pool membership is persisted, theres nothing to prevent a smarter pool resource provider extracting the necessary raw data more efficiently. Really depends on how pool membership is persisted at the back end.

Yep. And given a first implementation that uses primordial pools, the 'easy' approach will be used here as well :-). Will have to revisit when supporting fancier pool management.

Jim