xen-cim

[Xen-cim] VM lifecycle management

To: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-cim] VM lifecycle management
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:42:11 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:42:50 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I noticed this message on xen-devel a few days back:

  http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-06/msg00390.html

Of particular interest:

   Things I'd ideally still like to see get included:
* xend VM lifecycle management patches (I'm told this is almost ready for posting)

Is someone working on this? I'm a little confused in that I thought this was in early design stage at best.

While testing the provider lifecycle management code I have been working on, came across an issue regarding suspended domains. Suspending an active domain is no problem but having difficulty restoring a suspended domain since there is no way to determine that the current state of a domain is suspended.

According to the System Virtualization Profile, one can go from Active state to Suspended with RequestStateChange("Suspended") and conversely from Suspended to Active with RequestStateChange("Enabled"). However I have no clue that the domain is Suspended (saved in Xen terminology) and thus cannot determine whether to restore the domain or simply create it when presented with RequestStateChange("Enabled").

No problem for the Paused case since xend provides this state. Consider RequestStateChange("Enabled") called on a paused Xen_ComputerSystem. Querying xend about this computer system will reveal that it is paused, thus I can unpause it and move to the requested state. This is not the case for a Suspended domain.

Will the VM lifecycle management patches mentioned above include support for the suspended (saved) state?

BTW, I'm about done with the first cut of lifecycle management. This cut implements only the basic lifecycle stuff. One can define a domain (DefineVirtualSystem), activate it (RequestStateChange("Enabled")), deactivate it (RequestStateChange("Disabled")), pause it (RequestStateChange("Paused")), unpause it (RequestStateChange("Enabled")), suspend it (RequestStateChange("Suspended")), and destroy it (DestroyVirtualSystem). For the time I'm ignoring [Clone|Modify]VirtualSystem.

I will not be able to check this in until we have the green light on posting SVPC mofs. Gareth - any word on this? I will have to include CIM_EnabledLogicalElement.mof as well since it has been changed in accordance with SVPC CR00022.

Jim