xen-cim

[Xen-cim] important DMTF SVPC documents

To: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-cim] important DMTF SVPC documents
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:17:59 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:13:16 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Overall System Virtualization profile (VM lifecycle):
        http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/redundancy/download.php/19117/DMTF-System_Virtualization_Profile_0_7_1.pdf
this is now a little out-of-date. Changes from recent DMTF f2f still need to be incorporated.

Other important profiles:
        http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/redundancy/download.php/18208/Resource_Virtualization_Profile-0_8_1.pdf
        http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/redundancy/download.php/19250/Allocation_Capabilities_Profile_v0_9.1.pdf
        http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/redundancy/download.php/18937/DMTF-Memory_Resource_Virtualization%20Profile_v0.7.pdf
the memory profile will serve as the template for the other resource type profiles (eg processor, disk, network port, etc)

MOFs:
        http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/redundancy/members/uml452/download.php

CIM Schema 2.13 Schedule:
        http://www.dmtf.org/apps/org/workgroup/redundancy/download.php/17834/CIM2.13%20schedule.htm
target for 2.13 public release is 09/26/2006. This is the earliest that we should consider putting out products using these mofs (DMTF isn't terribly keen of pre-releasing draft docs, including mofs, in the first place, yet alone folks shipping 'final' products built on pre-release material...)

The following is a very good PPT slides fro Mike describing the Cluster profile that I talked about on the call today. This is the model we should frame a "Xen cluster" in, both in terms of grouping all the DomU's present on a single host in a meaningful mgmt way, as well connecting multiple Xen host system together for the like of, say, a migration/high-availability cluster. I'll send out some of my preliminary thoughts/diagrams as to how we might want to use Mike's models for a Xen cluster, using LinuxHA as an initial base cluster infrastructure underneath.

- Gareth

Dr. Gareth S. Bestor
IBM Linux Technology Center
M/S DES2-01
15300 SW Koll Parkway, Beaverton, OR 97006
503-578-3186, T/L 775-3186, Fax 503-578-3186