xen-arm

[XenARM] RE: xen-arm mailing list archive

To: "Toni Nikkanen" <toni.nikkanen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "ROSSIER Daniel" <Daniel.Rossier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:20:03 +0200
Cc: xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:20:40 -0700
Sender: xen-arm-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Indeed, we also sent several mails to Samsung but never got any answer.
Maybe, they still hesitate
to release their code to the open source community.

I am especially interested in Xen on ARM11
>MPCore processors, for
>running Linux guests. I would be grateful if you could fill me in on
the
>current situation and
>especially if you're aware of anyone interested in supporting the ARM11
>MPCore. Thank you!

I've no experience with the ARM11 core, but I guess we should start
investigations on these series in
the upcoming months. At the moment, we still focus on ARM9 or Xscale
series.
Daniel Ferstay, who graduated at the University of British Columbia did
a great job; he ported the hypervisor on a StrongARM-based platform
enabling the support of one guest OS. I recommend the reading of his
Master thesis which may significantly help in understanding the major
issues regarding the port, especially the memory management:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/grads/resources/thesis/May06/Ferstay_Daniel.pdf

Another port was ongoing at UIUC (University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign) by Philip Reames, but I've been informed
that they stopped their work and shifted toward the development of
avirtualization system based on L4 and some of the new features of the
ARMv6 architecture.

I kindly asked Daniel Ferstay if I was authorized to publish his code
over the mailing list and now waiting for his answer.
(Or maybe he can do it himself directly :-))

Daniel