xen-api

Re: [Xen-API] XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC

To: "brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx" <brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC
From: Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:41:46 +0000
Cc: Corey Hemminger <hemminger@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "<xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:42:04 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 15/11/11 16:19, brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Great matrix but I'm not sure I follow your logic since XenCenter 6 can
> manage any version of XenServer, at least it appears to work fine for any
> version from 4.1 through 6.0 as well as XCP 1.1, as long as you have
> the xpi version override hack installed and have rebooted the toolstack on
> your compute nodes.  I use XenServer 6 to manage both XenServer 5.5 and
> XCP 1.1 pools with no problems.
>
> Here are a couple of references (I couldn't find anything on the Citrix
> site, although I know I've seen it):
>
> http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtualization/w/wiki/3071.aspx
>
> Download XenCenter 5.6 and install it onto a suitable client machine. The
> new version of XenCenter is suitable for managing older versions of
> XenServer, and hence no functionality will be lost.
>
> http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/tip/Installing-Citrix-XenServer-55-and-XenCenter
>
> customer's XenCenter should support. By default, that will be XenCenter
> 5.5 only, which is compatible with all versions of XenServer from 4.1 on.
> In case you want to manage older versions of XenServer as well, make sure
> to also select XenServer 4.0.

Unfortunately, when Citrix originally released XCP, they made no effort
to make sure that XenCenter worked with XCP. So while XenCenter works
well with previous versions of XenServer, it doesn't always work well
with XCP, and especially not previous versions of XCP. The
xapi_version_override hack does help, but I'm sure that there are some
cases where it won't.

The GUI team is working to fix some XenCenter/XCP integration issues for
their next release, and the XCP team is working to make versioning
between XCP and XenServer hosts a little more sane. So hopefully this
kind of thing will quietly go away in future releases.

Hope this explains what's going on a little better.

Mike