xen-api

Re: [Xen-API] XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC

To: Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC
From: brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:19:36 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Corey Hemminger <hemminger@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "<xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:20:28 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mike,

Great matrix but I'm not sure I follow your logic since XenCenter 6 can manage any version of XenServer, at least it appears to work fine for any version from 4.1 through 6.0 as well as XCP 1.1, as long as you have the xpi version override hack installed and have rebooted the toolstack on your compute nodes. I use XenServer 6 to manage both XenServer 5.5 and XCP 1.1 pools with no problems.

Here are a couple of references (I couldn't find anything on the Citrix site, although I know I've seen it):

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtualization/w/wiki/3071.aspx

Download XenCenter 5.6 and install it onto a suitable client machine. The new version of XenCenter is suitable for managing older versions of XenServer, and hence no functionality will be lost.

http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/tip/Installing-Citrix-XenServer-55-and-XenCenter

customer's XenCenter should support. By default, that will be XenCenter 5.5 only, which is compatible with all versions of XenServer from 4.1 on. In case you want to manage older versions of XenServer as well, make sure to also select XenServer 4.0.