xen-api

RE: [Xen-API] RFC: Shuffling xen-api-libs

To: 'Anil Madhavapeddy' <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] RFC: Shuffling xen-api-libs
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:00:30 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 06:02:30 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Anil wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2011, at 23:43, Jonathan Ludlam wrote:
>
> > cdrom
>
> good as standalone library, no dependency on stdext. similar argument
> to cpuid.

FYI I'm probably going to remove xapi's dependency on this.

> > close-and-exec <-- do we still need this?
> > cpuid
>
> good as standalone library.
>
> > forking_executioner
> > log <-- should be top-level?
> > netdev
>
> seems very useful to have netdev bridge manipulation as a standalone
> library, but depends on Stringext/Forkhelpers.  Can do a separate port
> of this to FreeBSD/OpenBSD if it's all wrapped up in this library.

I'd like to review xapi's use of netdev. Our network handling is a bit mixed,
using a combination of bash scripts running "ip link" and this netdev stuff. It
might make sense to split it into separate bridge and openvswitch portions.

> > pciutil
>
> useful enough as a standalone (rename to pci_id) though?
>
> > rss
>
> useful as a standalone; I have some code in Mirage-www to output Atom
> formats and stuff as well and could patch that in too (if it's using
> xmlm, which I believe it is).

My local checkout shows it using xml-light2 to bridge to xmlm :/ Anyway I don't
know much about RSS but this one seems a little small (96 LOC in my tree). Is
it complete enough to use? I have no strong opinion about this, except I think
it would be polite to avoid claiming the name "rss" in the global namespace
unless it's complete enough.

> > sexpr
>
> Any reason not to use sexplib here instead of another hand-rolled
> library? sexplib is pretty battle-hardened.

It would be better to use sexplib, it's just a matter of time. First we still
have to complete the xmlm upgrade and remove xml-light2 :)

> > stunnel
>
> Massively useful to have this released as a standalone library. SSL in
> OCaml remains a pain, and having 'one good way' to do it (e.g. use stud
> or stunnel?) would be handy.

It would be nice to have 'one good way' to do it :) Last time I looked this
code was in a shocking state. We will probably improve it though since this one
is really important for us. We might want to switch from stunnel to stud though
;) Maybe it should have a slightly more generic name like 'sslterminator'?

Cheers,
Dave