xen-api

Re: [Xen-users] XCP and XenCenter License Expiration Annoyance

To: brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP and XenCenter License Expiration Annoyance
From: Denis Cardon <denis.cardon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 11:57:34 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 May 2011 02:59:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Brooks,

A few months ago Rob Hoe (citrix) posted this response to the list:

You should ignore whatever XenCenter says about licenses when using it
for XCP. The expiry date has no effect, is not enforced and won't cause
any harm to your VMs.

Although it's true that the expiry date has no effect on VM
functionality it makes XenCenter almost unusable given the constant
expiration pop up notifications. Does anyone know if there's anyway to
stop those messages? At this point there just are no viable alternatives
to using XenCenter to manage an XCP based pool. At the OpenStack
conference last week I saw (in the Quantum talk) that RackSpace is using
XenCenter to help them manage their Xen based cloud. But, I suspect
they're running Xen 5.6 free vs. XCP 1.0 since I didn't see any license
expirations warnings pop up in the demo.

you can download a free evaluation key from citrix web site and upload it to your XCP pool. It does remove the annoying pop up (and it does not expire).

Cheers,

Denis

Kevin

Denis Cardon