xen-api

RE: [Xen-API] Re: [Xen-devel] release of 'xapi' toolstack

To: 'Pasi Kärkkäinen' <pasik@xxxxxx>, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] Re: [Xen-devel] release of 'xapi' toolstack
From: Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:23:53 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: 'Mark Johnson' <johnson.nh@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Julian Chesterfield <Julian.Chesterfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 07:23:58 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Pasi,

Julian Chesterfield (cc'd) is the person responsible for the storage backends -
I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

Anyway, if you're planning on hacking on the multipathing code, there are a
couple of things you should probably be aware of - the version of multipathd
that we ship differs in some important ways from the stock CentOS one. There
are a couple of incidental patches that do things like alert when paths go
up/down, but the most important one is the patch that stops multipathd from
listening for uevents. The CentOS version has both multipathd listening for
uevents and multipath invoked from the udev scripts, which was racy and we
found that it was difficult to decide when the process of adding a LUN had
completed. What we've done is ensure that everything is done synchronously, so
the backends explicitly tell multipathd (through the multipathd cli interface
-- which is *not* the same as the command 'multipath'!) when paths arrive and
disappear. So when a path appears, we effectively do:

# echo "add path sd<x>" | multipathd -k

When this command returns, we know that multipathd has finished processing the
device, and the devmapper node has appeared.

The only thing that is done automatically from udev is a failsafe rule that's
executed when a device is removed from the system. This rule tells multipathd
to forget about the particular path, which prevents a possible condition where
LVM waits indefinitely trying to access a multipathed device where all the
paths have vanished.

This is probably the most important aspect of how multipath works currently -
obviously there's some more detail, and we'll have to write this up on the
xen.org wiki at some point.

Cheers,

Jon