Re: [Xen-users] old RHEL3 domu kernel

To: xen-users list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] old RHEL3 domu kernel
From: Peter <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:54:58 +1300
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:56:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 27/09/11 08:04, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Peter <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I need to port over an old RHEL3 box to a xen domU (just for a little
>>> while until I can transfer all of its services over to a new domain).  I
>>> was hoping to get a domU supported kernel so I can run it as a PV guest
>>> and found this page:
>>>
>>> http://xen.org/download/dl_304guest_rhel3.html
>>>
>>> ...but the links to the actual kernels come up with 404 errors.  Anyone
>>> know where I can get this kernel from?
>
> The url mentioned above had Xen PV enabled Linux 2.4 kernel for RHEL3 (based
> on the actual RHEL3 kernel)
> It was developed by Xensource, back in the days.
>
> It was removed because it had some known bugs, and it is unmaintained.

I think this is actually a violation of the GPL.  It was distributed so
at least the source code has to remain available.

>> Another alternative is to contact Redhat. IIRC the supported
>> configuration is to use HVM (or KVM, if your host is RHEL6), but you
>> might be able to get PV drivers.
>>

> RHEL3 ships with Xen PVHVM drivers included, so install RHEL3 as Xen HVM VM,
> and then enable the PV drivers!
>
> That's the best way, and it's supported by Redhat.

I will give that a try, but I haven't had much success with HVM yet.
What I have actually ended up doing in the past is getting RHEL to work
with a 2.6 kernel (albeit with a few bugs of its own that way).  Would
using the (buggy) 2.4 kernel be any worse than that?

Peter