Re: [Xen-users] old RHEL3 domu kernel

To: xen-users list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] old RHEL3 domu kernel
From: Peter <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:20:23 +1200
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:22:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 22/09/11 10:22, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Peter <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I need to port over an old RHEL3 box to a xen domU (just for a little
>> while until I can transfer all of its services over to a new domain).  I
>> was hoping to get a domU supported kernel so I can run it as a PV guest
>> and found this page:
>>
>> http://xen.org/download/dl_304guest_rhel3.html
>>
>> ...but the links to the actual kernels come up with 404 errors.  Anyone
>> know where I can get this kernel from?
>
> You can't. Not when the key word is PV and SUPPORTED.

I never said or assumed anything would be supported.  I'm just looking
for an old kernel that is missing a link.

> RHEL3 uses 2.4 kernel, which can't run as PV guest in Xen >=3.

I thought that Xen versions might be backwards compatible here.

> You
> MIGHT be able to hack a 2.6 or 3.0 PV kernel to work with RHEL3, but
> it will be unsupported.

I've done this before with a domU kernel from CentOS 5.  It worked, but
some things are broken, unfortunately.

> Another alternative is to contact Redhat. IIRC the supported
> configuration is to use HVM

Again, not looking for supported, HVM is another option which I've tried
in the past and hasn't worked too well for me, but I may try that again
before I try the 2.6 kernel option that has worked to some degree.

Peter