Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen, looking for advice regarding system configu

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen, looking for advice regarding system configuration
From: Braindead <Braindead@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:43:47 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:45:13 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=diablops.com; h=Received:Date:From:To:Subject:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:Organization:X-Mailer:Mime-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-BWhitelist:X-Source:X-Source-Args:X-Source-Dir:X-Source-Sender:X-Source-Auth:X-Email-Count; b=HutWAnAIRphRC+RB0TqQzpVSMzIA3ycUvN7SKTssblXBUlBVA8sG6ij4YOleqbc5Q343LAXBa7dx5MVXKqUhVASIXNkYmGeas9XWpcxrk0rnNIwYKBoWXZdCV2q1VhE5;
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 22:00:54 +0700 "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Braindead <Braindead@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >> You haven't said why you want to move away from vmware. If we know
> >> what your priorities are, we might be able to give better advice.
> >> For example, if you're used to vmware-style GUI, but want an
> >> open-source license, XCP might be a better choice. But it you want
> >> something you can tinker, or use bleeding-edge technology, then
> >> starting with a distro that includes Xen would be a better choice.
> >
> > I use VMWare workstation at work
>
> Ah, that might explain it. Did you know that Vmware has vsphere
> hypervisor (ESXi)? :D

Indeed, but this is for my personal use and cost is a factor.

> >, I use virtualbox on Linux a bit.  I only mention VMWare to note
> >that I'm used to the concepts of VM's.  I prefer running *nix,
> >Gentoo to be precise.

<snip.. this is getting long!>

> >> Another option would be using SSD as cache, with something like
> >> facebook's flashcache. This setup would reduce the possibility of
> >> data loss (since SSD will only be cache), and have the additional
> >> benefit of higher capacity (compared to pure SSD setup), but is
> >> also more complex and (depending on how you look at it)
> >> "experimental".
> >
> > Isn't that what the 'hybrid' drives are?
>
> Kinda. flashcache lets you mix any kind of SSD of any size with any
> kind of HDD, so you have greater control.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with that.. certainly gives me something to look into.
 Might be what I'm looking for at work, they keep wanting to 'upgrade' us with
SSD's, however.. I'm the guy that works all the huge databases... I need TB's
of storage.  Seems using an SSD for this purpose might be exactly what I need.