[Xen-users] Can't boot HVM Linux guests on Debian Squeeze Dom0

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Can't boot HVM Linux guests on Debian Squeeze Dom0
From: Garrett Robinson <Garrett.Robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 05:30:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 02:32:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just downloaded Debian Squeeze and installed Xen from packages, following the instructions here: http://wiki.debian.org/Xen
I am able to get PV guests up and running easily, but HVM guests will not even boot.

The HVM I am currently trying to run is Debian sarge, which I installed into a disk image and configured using qemu.
I am running on an HP Proliant ML150G6, which has Intel-VT hardware virtualization. One strange thing that I noticed is both

grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo
grep svm /proc/cpuinfo

return nothing, although according to the BIOS settings the Intel-VT extensions are enabled.

On trying to boot my HVM guest (xm create sarge.cfg), several different things would happen. At I fiddled with the configuration file for the VM a bit in attempts to get things working, it seems to have settled on the following. It prints

Using config file "./sarge.cfg"

and then hangs for a looong time, at least one minute. After waiting a bit, it prints

Error: Domain 'sarge' does not exist.

and quits.

I would really appreciate any advice or insight into this problem and possible solutions! I am including the configuration file for the VM in question, please let me know if more information would be useful:

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
        arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
        arch_libdir = 'lib'

device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen-4.0/bin/qemu-dm'

name = 'sarge'
kernel = '/usr/lib/xen-default/boot/hvmloader'
builder = 'hvm'
memory = 256
shadow_memory = 16
vcpus = 1