[Xen-users] can't run Debian guest

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] can't run Debian guest
From: "c.schwarz@xxxxxxxxxxx" <c.schwarz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:01:25 +0000
Accept-language: de-AT, de-DE, en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:02:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I created a paravirtualized Debian Squeeze guest (using virt-manager), after
completing the initial setup I was asked to reboot, in order to finalise the
installation. The guest startup breaks down with the error message:

Error starting domain: POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon:
(xend.err "Error creating domain: Boot loader didn't return any data!")

At first I installed the GRUB loader in the MBR, then I tried to install it in
/dev/xvda but starting the guest always stops with "(xend.err "Error creating
domain: Boot loader didn't return any data!").

All my working CentOS guests are installed in the same way (HTTP download), but
the Debian one doen't.

Does anybody have a suggestion where the GRUB loader should be installed at?

My machine:

Hypervisor: CentOS  release 5.4 (Final)
kernel: Linux vserver 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5xen #1 SMP Wed Mar 17 12:04:23 EDT
2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thanks in advance,
Christoph