Re: [Xen-users] how to begin with xen

ok, does using Sparse file take a performance hit?
or is that the way many do in a production environment?

On 2/18/2011 9:30 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Randy Katz
<rkatz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
So what's to stop me from using the same IP address twice (by accident)?
By default? Nothing. Just like nothing will stop you from assigning
the same IP address twice on two physical servers on the same network.

Or will it catch that?

At this point I suggest you take a step back. Think of dom0 like a
switch. Then think of domUs like any physical server on the same
network connected to that switch. Anything you usually do with pysical
servers and switches should apply here as well. Does this make sense
so far?

Having said that, on some physical switches/routers and servers there
is a way to restrict certain MAC or IP address to a certain physical
port. A similar thing can be applied on Xen, but it's somewhat
complicated. Search in the list archive if you still want to know how.

Also, is there a way to use dynamically configurable storage
space?
Please explain, thanks.
Define "dynamically configurable storage":
- if you mean "I want to change the size of disk presented to domU
while it's running without having to restart domU", then AFAIK there
is no easy way to do that yet.
- if you mean "I want to allow domU to use at most 10G disk space, but
I don't want to reserve all that space immediately", then the easiest
way is to use sparse file as domU storage, and use it in domU config
file with tap:aio. For example on how to create sparse file, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file. virt-install also have an
option to create sparse file (see "man virt-install"), and there
should be an equivalent place to select in on virt-manager.