[Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy

To: "Paul Piscuc" <paul.piscuc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy
From: "Guido Hecken" <guido.hecken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:46:35 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 00:47:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paul,

I did some tests on different tools like ntfsclone, partimage and dd through
gzip.
In combination with LVM Snapshots they produce a backup which should preserve
all meta data since these methods are not filebased.
One of the disadvantages are, these are not increment backup solutions, so you
will have multiple big archive files.
Commercial tools like acronis backup&recovery or R1soft's cdp can do the backup
job image-based and in an differential or incremental way.
So you will get smaller archives.
But these are commercial solutions and not really cheap.
BTW R1Soft has a great and free(!) tool called Linux Hot Copy.
With this tool you can create snapshots from regular, not LVM based filesystems.
It's a great enhancement for your daily backup stuff and it's free.

I think one should have at least two backup strategies, an image based for
disaster recovery scenarios and one for the "oops I deleted file xy problem" as
a filebased solution. Perhaps the filebased backup should run directly in the
VM and use the OS specific tools, at least in Windows systems.

Guido