Re: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 18:14:58 +0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 03:17:45 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:06 PM,  <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When you backup to a Linux system I don't believe these will be preserved,
> there is no way to.
> >From Windows to Windows this might be OK though.

This also leaves a question, can you recover a complete system (OS
included) with rdiff. If anyone has implemented this setup please
share your experience.

Personally, I'm testing using native zfs on Linux
(https://github.com/zfs-linux) on Xen dom0, and use the zvol as domU
storage.
It's on RHEL dom0, with xen 4.0.1 rpm from http://www.gitco.de/repo/,
plus custom kernel from
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/xen/stable-2.6.32.x
. With this setup, incremental backup using "zfs send" is easy, as
well as restoring the block device using "zfs receive".

--
Fajar