Re: [Xen-users] Can't get Dom0 PV_OPS working properly

To: Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can't get Dom0 PV_OPS working properly
From: Sergey Tovpeko <tsv.devel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:14:27 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 05:21:47 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to :cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=LPj/vovol9Y2Zxs4sQT5GSMzI4TbpUa7FL9H9QMVH7Q=; b=iukUJGEpYUyTQtXW7thDV3iOkpTE3TIGuS8K7dUvwmlqPGyIYy/4vnFllmmIfdYqY8 ZhaOr8GezFI2ChchnKH4UOe9AFcwQ5GSJfvm6uE/oW5D8wHkXtmfz+wd6pkptLqVP7x3 K/IIq3R0MzCsquwc6JtVT2qmCVVK058wQCUKo=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had a reliable system running Xen 3.4.3 (GitCo) using the CentOS Xen kernel (5.5). I wanted to do some PCI passthrough but I got an issue with MMIO (or similar). Google told me that that I had to use the Xen 2.6.18 or PV_Ops kernel. I downloaded the "Jeremy" PV_OPS kernel and compiled it okay, having followed the Wiki entry instructions (I think!). I read somewhere that I should go to 4.0.1 Xen, which I did. The kernel runs fine as a standalone kernel
and boots under Xen.

I am having the the following issues:-

* I can't get any screen console output (despite console=hvc0 at the dom0 kernel
line)

* PV VM's fail to start properly. As soon as they start, they sit at 100% CPU according to xm top and don't progress. A Windows HVM guest appears to start okay. I haven't tried any other HVM. I have tried PV guests based on CentOS kernel and Ubuntu 10.10 PV_OPS, which do the same.

I tried to look at the various logs but I don't see anything that gives me a clue, but I am not Xen expert to know what I am looking for.

When I revert back to 4.0.1 + CentOS's Xen kernel as Dom0, all VM's start and operate properly.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.
Hello, Ian!

As I understood correctly your main point is to have the ability to use PCI passthrogh.

It appears to be a problem in Jeremy's pv_ops kernel as Dom0 to run PV domains. I could propose you to try 2.6.18 Dom0 if it only suits for you.

http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg

To download it you can use Mercurial tool with
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg